John Stites Jazz Awards (JSJA)
There are two categories of John Stites Jazz Awards – Artistic Development and Jazz Events. Awards range from $5,000 to $25,000 – no cash or in-kind match is required.
September 27 update: The application deadline has been extended to October 15, 2021.
- August 1 through October 15, 2021 – Applications accepted.
- October 16 through December 14, 2021 – Panel of professional jazz musicians review applications and recommend award recipients to the Board of Directors.
- December 15, 2021 – Board of Directors announce award winners.
- December 31, 2021 – Award recipients receive funding for use in 2022.
- Award winners must include the JSJA logo on their website or social media site(s) and/or acknowledge JSJA’s financial support in newsletters and/or press releases, marketing materials, programs, and media interviews.
Who can apply
- Emerging professional jazz musicians (or ensembles) who have completed two or more years of college-level experience in a music discipline or equivalent training
- Professional musicians with a minimum of two years of significant performance engagements
- Individuals and nonprofit organizations that sponsor jazz concerts, competitions, or projects that will enhance musicianship and public access to and appreciation of outstanding jazz performances
- Applicants may receive one JSJA every two years. (Winners must wait one year after submission of a final report before submitting a new application.)
For-profit organizations (including concert promoters, event planning and management companies, recording studios) and organizations whose primary mission does not focus on jazz music are ineligible.
JSJA Artistic Development Awards
- Fees for classes, workshops, clinics, scholarships, and competitions (except courses required to complete an undergraduate degree or graduate degree)
- Related expenses including required activities, supplies, travel, and housing
- Fees and expenses required for participation in classes, workshops, and clinics
- Books and supplies
- Purchased equipment including instruments
- Recordings for commercial sale and/or performance tapes
JSJA Jazz Event Awards
- Concert performances with outstanding professional jazz soloists, ensembles, and special guests (must be open to public and provide accessible entrances)
- Master-level classes, workshops, and clinics held in conjunction with performances by outstanding jazz musicians and special guests
- Jazz artist competitions with monetary awards that further education in jazz musicianship
- Community projects that expand access to or appreciation of jazz primarily in or near communities in Southwest Michigan
- Honoraria including travel and housing for guest artists, artist fees, and artist residencies
- Performance space rental
- Marketing, technical, and logistical support for concerts and projects
- Purchased equipment including instruments
- General administrative costs and overhead expenses
- Routine performances by local artists and groups
- Donations to music departments at school districts, colleges, or universities
- Capital projects, fund-raising events, or receptions
Funding information (2021)
- Funds must be expended between December 1, 2021 and November 30, 2022.
- Awards less than $10,000:
- 85% of award issued in December 2021
- 15% issued after submission of final report (final report deadline December 15, 2022
- Awards $10,000 or more:
- 60% of award issued in December 2021
- 30% issued after submission of interim financial report (deadline June 2022)
- 10% issued after submission of final report (final report deadline December 15, 2022)
- Final report must include narrative summary of outcomes, detailed financial statement, and publicity materials from any concert or project event. Remaining funds are forfeited if final report is not submitted.
- Award winners are required to retain and make available upon request the following supporting documentation:
- A list of dates and amounts of all grant payments received
- Documentation of all grant expenditures including paid invoices, receipts, and
- Payroll and tax withholding records
Updated September 10, 2021: Due to the uncertainty associated with the spread of Covid-19 and the potential impact on your ability to meet the 2022 deadline(s) for spending the award money:
- 2021 award winners may apply for a deadline extension, or
- In the event the project must be cancelled, 2021 award winners may provide an accounting of the money spent to date and ask that it not be repaid.
How to apply
Apply online through a third-party application process by selecting the Artistic Development Award link or the Jazz Events Award link below. The third-party application process is conducted through SmarterSelect to ensure confidentiality and impartiality in the process. You will receive an email and/or text acknowledgement from SmarterSelect that your application has been received.
Apply for a JSJA Artistic Development Award
Apply for a JSJA Jazz Event Award